Being an Atom
All for one, and one for all
- Atoms give a shit about their work, their teammates, and their clients. We pull together.
- Atoms are generalists who enjoy learning and doing new things.
- Atoms are great communicators, able to work effectively one-on-one with clients and users.
- Atoms are product developers, working on poly-skilled teams to create the most valuable product possible with the client's budget.
Being “Atomic" is so important that, when hiring, we rank it just as high as technical skill or experience.
My favorite thing about working here is being surrounded by smart people who care about what they’re working on. ‒ Bryan Elkus Be
Atomic is employee-owned, and we take good care of each other.
Mastery, Autonomy, Purpose
Atoms spend each day doing something fascinating and challenging, with:
- Projects that make pipelines safer, cities greener, healthcare smarter, and old products new again.
- A wide variety of technologies.
- Smart co-workers who challenge and collaborate with you.
- Involvement in the full product dev. process.
- The opportunity to manage projects as Lead.
- Craftsman Exchanges with other firms.
- A lively culture that embraces curiosity, transparency, 30-mile group bike rides, life-long friendships, and lunchtime video games
Respect & Support
Atoms are a close-knit team. We don't take each other for granted, and enjoy:
- Paid professional development—books, conferences, association memberships, etc.
- The opportunity for employee ownership.
- A sustainable working pace—overtime is rare and always paid.
- Transparent leadership who seek employee opinions and buy-in on major decisions.
- Freedom to choose your own development tools, and financial support to help buy them.
- Pair lunches.
We've Got you Covered
Doing great work takes a lot of energy and focus, so we make sure your basic needs are taken care of.
- Competitive Salary
- 1/N Quarterly Cash Profit Sharing
- Paid Holidays, Vacations, & Sick Time
- Health Insurance w/HSA Contributions
- Long/Short-Term Disability Insurance
- Regular 401(k) Contributions of 3%
- Annual 401(k) Profit Sharing of 5%
- Maternity & New Child Leave
Ready for whatever comes next
Atomic invests heavily in books, classes, and conferences. Nearly every Atom attends a workshop or conference every year, and some attend more.
Beyond that, we all invest our own time in professional development—reading, learning new skills, attending user groups, etc. Atoms plan their own learning, on their own schedule, given their unique life circumstances and career stage.
We're working hard to make Atomic to be a place of respect, support, and friendship—a place where every person can be their genuine self. Where hard work, kindness, and ingenuity are rewarded, and bias is struck down everywhere it appears.Read More
Hire trustworthy people, then trust them
The fundamental arrangement of Atoms is a Project Team—short-term groups organized around the products we create. Teams include both developers and designers, and they frequently span offices. Each one is run not by a non-technical Project Manager, but by a designer or developer on the team itself. All Atoms work directly with their clients.
We believe that decisions should be made as close to the situation as possible, so Atomic has very little management hierarchy. At the top, there's Carl Erickson, our CEO and co-founder (who blogs about running Atomic at Great Not Big). And each office has 1-2 Managing Partners with development backgrounds who handle day-to-day operations (sales, scheduling, facilities, sponsorships, etc.). That's it.
Atoms are very active in the Atomic do-ocracy. Over 60% of us are owners, and all of us have knowledge and opinions to share. Our Advisory Board of Atoms holds regular open meetings, where they investigate and weigh in on issues the company is facing. And our MPs hold quarterly company meetings to share news and the last quarter's Profit & Loss statement.
Open Positions at Atomic
We're currently looking for the following:
Positions at Local Orbit
Want to work at a startup version of Atomic Object? We're bringing the best parts of Atomic's engineering culture, practices, and processes to Local Orbit through a unique long-term partnership. Be one of the first Orbits to join a small team of the best Atoms building a platform to help people transparently buy, sell, and distribute local food.Apply to Local Orbit