Why it Matters
Why do we care about diversity? Because treating people fairly and respectfully is the right thing to do.
We also think diversity makes us a stronger company. Teams that bring together different experiences and perspectives are more creative, and the software they make is more useful to more people.
Everyone uses software—everyone. And the people who make it should reflect that.
Atomic doesn’t discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin, disability, protected genetic information, age, religion, marital status, veteran status, height, weight, sexual orientation, or gender expression.
We want Atomic to be a place of respect, support, and friendship. A place where every person can be their genuine self. Where hard work, kindness, and ingenuity are rewarded, and bias is struck down wherever it appears.
Changing the Status Quo
We're working hard to build a diverse team.
- Recruiting from spaces frequented by diverse groups of people.
- Keeping bias out of our hiring processes through personas, rubrics, and other quantitative guidelines.
- Ensuring that people are paid consistently, based on their experience and skill.
- Offering paid parental leave, schedule flexibility, floating holidays, and other benefits.
- Creating part-time opportunities for people who want to blend child-care and a career.
- Crafting creative job re-entry plans for people who took time off to raise children.
- Supporting the ACLU's Michigan competitive workforce coalition.
- Supporting groups that are helping diverse groups of people become software makers, like Girl Develop It, MICWIC, and the Midwest Tech Project.
We’re making progress in one dimension of diversity, but we certainly aren’t satisfied. We're not going to rest until we're represented by many voices.
Thoughts on Diversity in Tech
Atoms frequently blog about diversity in the software industry. Here are a few of our favorites.
- Who’s Doing the Glue Work at Your Company?
- Seven Influential and Inspirational Women in Tech
- Feeling Pride at Atomic
- A Moral Justification for Diversity In Tech – Why “Good for Business” Isn’t Good Enough
- Atomic at MICWIC 2017: Connecting with Our Peers
- More Than a Policy – What Dealing with Workplace Harassment Looks Like
- Diversity for Diversity’s Sake? – 9 Reasons We Want to Be Gender Diverse
- Women and the Software Industry: The Truth about Stereotypes, Retention, and the Gender Gap