NeuroMetrix created Quell to bring drug-free relief to the millions who suffer from chronic pain.
The Quell Relief mobile app for iOS and Android gives users the ability to control their therapy and provides insights into their therapy, sleep, activity, and pain.
The Quell wearable pain relief device from NeuroMetrix fights chronic pain by stimulating nerves in the upper calf, which send neural pulses to the brain. This causes the brain to release natural opiates that block pain signals and deliver widespread pain relief throughout the body. Quell is a new alternative to treating chronic pain, and the first device of its kind approved by the FDA for use during sleep.
The Mobile App
The Quell mobile app lets the user:
- Start and stop therapy sessions and adjust the intensity of therapy.
- Customize therapy, including stimulation patterns and sleep modes that work best for the users' pain level.
- Track and review detailed insights about therapy, sleep, pain, and activity.
It also displays the battery level and the remaining life of the device’s electrodes, and it links directly to Quell’s online store, making it easy to replace electrodes.
The Quell app syncs with the device via Bluetooth LE. Both iOS and Android versions are available.
- As of February 2017, nearly 60,000 Quell devices have been shipped to customers.
- The Quell mobile app has 10,500 active users/month, accessing the app an average of nearly 17,000 times/day.
- A study of quell’s effectiveness was included in the 2016 issue of the peer-reviewed Journal of Pain Research.
- During an August 2015 Ipsos user study, 81% of Quell users reported improvement in chronic pain and overall health, and 67% of users reported a reduction in their pain medication.
Quell in the News
- 10 Wearables That Stole The Show At CES 2017, CRN, January 10, 2017
- The Medicine-Free Pain Relieving Device, The Henry Ford’s Innovation Nation, December 11, 2016
- This Wearable Fights Chronic Pain—Without Drugs, Fast Company, April 2, 2015
- Quell hacks your brain to relieve chronic pain, CNET, January 7, 2015
- Read More Articles
Working with Atomic has been great. They’ve really invested themselves in understanding the product—they use the devices and play around with them. We almost consider them part of the company. The team is exceptional. It’s a very smart group of people, very invested in the software they’re developing. Shai Gozani, M.D., Ph.D., CEO, NeuroMetrix, Inc.
IDEO completed the industrial design and mechanical engineering of the Quell medical device. Atomic provided iOS and Android mobile app development for Quell using Objective-C, ReactiveCocoa, and Java. Atomic also developed the Quell Health Cloud, a server-side component that stores usage and sleep history for Quell Users.
- Software Product Design
- System Architecture
- Information Architecture
- Interaction Design
- Visual Design
- Software Development
Ruby on Rails